Thursday, April 20, 2006

Day 2 of the Sagada Escapade

Sagada

Day 2

We woke up around 7.30 in the morning. It was so cold!! It’s like having an air-conditioned room. We went to the tourism office to get a guide for our spelunking. There we met Cindy and her brother Kevin, who asked us if we could share a guide and just divide the fee into four so we can save. Fortunately, we were able to hitch ride up to the mouth of Sumaging Cave. Otherwise, it would have been a 30-45 minute hike from the tourism office. To Cindy and Kevin, the 1 hour spent in going down to the bottom of the cave was no sweat! They were like Spiderman, skipping and climbing from one big stone to another; but for Kristin and me, it was such a struggle! I was literally crawling to go to the bottom of the cave! I did not mind putting my hands on bat’s shit if this would mean making sure that I would not slide down to the big rocks and be lost in this world forever. The rocks and land were wet by dripping water from above, making the trail slippery (and dangerous). So we had to be sure with every step. Luckily, our guide was very helpful all through out the activity. There was a point where we have to pass through big rocks which had to be wet with water so that we will not slide down. The water glued our feet to the rocks! It was like magic! It was such an experience! It made me realized that what would not hurt me physically would not kill me. So failing in exams will not kill me, but will only wound my pride.

Our guide showed us different rock formations which were named based on the thing that it resembled. When our guide first mentioned "pigpen", I asked myself how could they bring pigs to the bottom of the cave. Oh boy! My pick-up was slow!! Oh well, my brain cells are also on vacation when I am on vacation. Then, he showed us the pregnant woman, the one who impregnated the woman, and the turtle. There was a “cliff”, and a wet one! Going deeper into the cave would entail much calculated legwork that I declined to go further. And so was Tin! So we stayed in the semi-pool of cold water, basking at the beauty of the rock formations while Cindy, Kevin and our guide proceeded further. I just did not have the guts to go further. Going up was easier for them through a rope which they used for rappelling. Together, we headed back to the mouth of the cave.

My clothes were such a mess! My jogging pants was covered with mud, and yes, bat’s shit. Braving the cold water, I took a shower. Afterwards, we had a hearty lunch at St. Joseph’s Café where we made friends with the waiter (the cafe had only one waiter). Later in the evening, I would be the one to write our order on his order slip as he was busy tending to the other guests. As usual, we did not know what to order. I ended up ordering Vegetable Fried Rice with tuna which turned out to be good for two persons. It came as no surprise for Tin and me that we were able to finish our food up to the last bite.

With our able guide Adfil, we rented a jeepney going to Kiltepan, the highest point in Sagada where we saw a magnificent view of the rice terraces! It must have taken them a lot of patience and perseverance to make those rice terraces! Adfil told us that unlike the rice terraces of Banaue, stones held the rice terraces of Sagada and Bontoc in place. And with respect to ownership of the land, the families till the terraces which their forefathers tilled ages ago. Afterwards, we trekked through rice terraces and fields planted with cabbage, to get to the small falls. Tin was already exhausted so she went straight to the Resthouse while Adfil and I went to Echo Valley. There we met three of his friends in the local high school. And as the name suggests, whatever you scream, it echoes and goes back to you because the sound bounces from the mountain right across you! We were also able to see hanging coffins on that mountain.

That night, love songs sang by a local singer lulled us to sleep.

No comments: